Should you start a dropshipping business?
Starting an online shop can get expensive. How can you add products to your online boutique when you don't have the funds to purchase more inventory? Dropshipping is a great way to feature products in your online shop without having to purchase the inventory up front.
Dropshipping works like this:
- You feature a distributor's product in your shop
- A customer order's that product
- The distributor sends the product directly to your customer on your behalf
- You don't have to invest in inventory
- Access to thousands of products
- Save time and scale business quickly
- You can start for free
- You have to trust a third-party with your products
- There are often lower product margins
- Possibility of logistical errors
Did you see that last pro? You can start for free.
Yes, I really mean that. Please please please don't get suckered into paying hundreds for access to an expensive dropshipper website. Do your research before experimenting with something like that- too often those sites are featuring low-quality products from china or are offering "wholesale" prices that are way too high.
So how can you get started for free?
You can put your own designs on products and have them printed and fulfilled by Printful. I love this option. I use this method to fulfill orders from my new shop.
Using Printful to put your designs on t-shirts and other products
Printful* makes it easy to put your designs on products such as tshirts, mugs, leggings and dresses. Upload your designs to products of your choice. Printful will fulfill your orders with on-demand printing and will use dropshipping to send products directly to your customers.
How does Printful work?
1. Upload a design to one of the many products offered in the Printful catalog (shirts, mugs, blankets, etc)
2. Publish the product to your ecommerce platform or other sales channel
3. When an order is placed, Printful will print your design on the product you selected
4. Printful ships the product directly to your customer
You can create a new storefront with Printful or link your existing store. Printful syncs with most ecommerce platforms making it east to seamlessly fulfill orders. Printful will link to your ecommerce website for free. You pay Printful for products only when an order is placed.
Manual ordering is also possible giving you endless possibilities to how you make sales.
Branded packaging can also be created with Printful . Every order is stamped with a 3x2 inch sticker that can feature your logo. You can also add pack-ins (thank you cards, promotional materials, etc) to your order for a small fee.
Ready to get started?
What if I'm not a designer but I want to start a dropshipping business
If you are a designer then you'll have no problem getting started with Printful. You own every design you'll be putting on the products because you created them.
Oberlo is a dropshipping app allowing you to add dropship products to your online store with the click of a button. Oberlo is exclusively for Shopify users.
Oberlo is for you if:
You have a Shopify account
You want to start dropshipping products right away
Ready to start dropshipping products?
*There are affiliate links in this post. I only feature products and services I have verified and/or used in my business.